Posts Tagged ‘adherence’
- A “return-to-sender” system where samples of medication are taken after all unexpected deaths, regardless of the cause of death noted on the death certificate, and returned to the original drug manufacturer. In cases of doubt as to the authenticity of the drug, the samples are sent to the apparent manufacturer, so the system is actually “return-to-brand-owner”.
- The samples are initially analysed by low-cost means only – hand-held spectroscopic techniques are cheap and simple and can quickly confirm authenticity by comparison with manufacturers’ reference scans.
- Suspect samples are analysed further and held as possible evidence if the coroner wishes to pursue the case.
- Genuine drug samples are destroyed (as a side benefit this helps to reduce inappropriate re-use by friends and relatives, re-sale, environmental pollution due to disposal in household trash etc)
- Anonymised statistics are compiled and shared amongst stakeholders in the system.